I’m going to copy and paste most of this from the SCE Forums on TechNet.   I normally wouldn’t post isolated instances of problems, but when I was helping this other person, I found that his conditions existed in my environment as well, so it could very well be the case for everyone.

Issue #1:

When we discover systems in our domain, clients that are located in our Administrative office (same location as the SCE server) are contacted by SCE and we can see the installed software, number of hard drives, etc.  Systems that are not in our Administrative office (remote sites, same domain) are displayed, but do not have software inventory and lists zero hard drives.

If I log into the remote site systems, configure Windows Update to automatically update the system, and perform “Check for Updates”, within a few minutes SCE will start displaying information about that remote system.  If I don’t go through these steps, SCE will not display the number of hard drives or the installed software, etc.

Questions – Is this an issue with WSUS? Once these clients are talking to SCE, will they truly continue to communicate and receive updates from the SCE server?  Is there something we can do to correct this behavior before we discover any more clients?

Issue #2:

In the Computers workspace, on the All Windows Computers pane, if I double click on a client system (Win 7) I can view the CPU performance, but there are no performance counters available to view under Processor Queue Length or Memory Usage.  On servers, I see performance counters for CPU, Processor Queue Length and Memory Usage.

Questions – Similar to Issue #1, is this a WSUS issue?  Is there something I need to configure to collect or view the Processor Queue Length and Memory Usage data for the client systems, or is this data not available?

Issue #3:

In the Monitoring workspace, if I expand the Microsoft Windows Client tree and look under Performance, Windows Client OS Performance, there are no performance counters that can be selected/viewed under any of the options (Disk Capacity, Disk Performance, Disk Utilization, Memory Utilization (Page File), Memory Utilization (Physical), Network Adapter Utilization or Processor Performance).

Under the Microsoft Windows Server | Performance, there are performance counters for Disk Capacity, Memory Utilization (Page File), Network Adapter Utilization [Bytes Total/Sec] and Processor Performance.  There are NO performance counters for Disk Performance, Disk Utilization, Memory Utilization (Physical) and Network Adapter Utilization [Bytes Received/Sec and Bytes Sent/Sec].

My Reply:

Issue #1 probably isn’t related to an actual WSUS problem, but more of a wsus/client problem where the client more than likely hadn’t received the certificate generated from the installation, which is then relayed via group policy.

Issues# 2+3 – Keep in mind, the problem exists with Windows 7 clients (and presumably Vista as well).  XP Clients work fine

Looking at the performance counters for any random Win7 client, doesn’t display any graph data, but will show the counters for that particular client.  Checking the box next to the counter doesn’t change the display behavior within SCE.  When you right-click the counter and select properties, the target is “Windows XP Operating System”, which obviously doesn’t apply since as I mentioned this is a windows 7 box.  When I look at the same information for a windows xp box, graph data is displayed properly.  So I went into the Authoring pane and scoped my search to “windows xp client operating system” and “windows 7 client operating system”, most of the rules for xp are enabled, but windows 7 rules are disabled.  Find the windows 7 rule “System Processor Queue Length” and  “Memory Available Megabytes”, and do an override to enable them.  SCE will then notify you client of an enabled rule and modify the configuration to start gathering performance data.


It’s a matter of rules not enabled by default, or inadvertently disabled through another rule.  Fortunately, from what I can tell, the rule names stay the same for the most part, it’s just a matter of scoping you rules to the correct category.  Why Windows 7 rules aren’t enabled by default I can’t really say, but it’s easy enough to enable them now that you know what you’re looking for.